UNITED NATIONS (CMC) — A senior United Nations adviser has called for a new “consortium” of donors to bolster Haiti’s long-term recovery.
Dr David Nabarro, the UN Special Adviser to the Secretary-General, said that this consortium must be committed to improving Haiti’s water supply and sanitation services, and to help finally eradicate cholera from the French-speaking Caribbean country in support of the newly-elected President Jovenel Moïse.
The UN said Nabarro will on Wednesday take this message to the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, where he aims to secure support from donor countries, development banks and the private sector for Haiti’s long-term recovery.
“I will be responsible for making certain that we do everything we possibly can on this,” Nabarro added.
The UN said Haiti has been dealing with a cholera outbreak since October 2010, some nine months after it suffered a devastating earthquake.
The outbreak has affected an estimated 788, 000 people and claimed the lives of more than 9,000, the UN said.
The UN said concerted national and international efforts, backed by the United Nations, have resulted in a 90 per cent reduction in the number of suspected cases.
Last month, the UN apologised to the people of Haiti for the loss of life and suffering caused by the cholera epidemic.
Nabarro said he is “committed to a new and enhanced approach on cholera in Haiti.”
According to the UN, the new approach to tackling the disease centres on two different elements, known as “Track One” and “Track Two.”
“Track One” consists of a greatly intensified and better-resourced effort to respond to and reduce the incidence of cholera, through addressing Haiti’s short- and longer-term issues of water, sanitation and health systems, and improved access to care and treatment.
“Track Two” of the approach is the development of a package of material assistance and support to those Haitians most directly affected by cholera, centred on the victims and their families and communities, the UN said.
It is expected that “Track Two” will also involve affected individuals and communities in the development of the package, the UN said.
Nabarro praised donations already made by France and South Korea to the anti-cholera effort, which has pledged US$636,000 and one million US dollars respectively to UN funds. Canada has also recently pledged US$4.6million, the UN said.